Fashion is ever evolving and ever revolving. It’s time to circle back to all those girly checks of 40’s era. Little wonder that the gingham print is turning out to be trendy and in vogue this year in the fashion arena. US Vogue editor-in-chief and fashion royalty Anna Wintour is highly regarded as having the final word on fashion’s next wave of trends, so when she takes the plunge and wears a statement print, it’s safe to say that it’s a winner.
And if I go by what it seems like , ghingham is a trend which is going nowhere anytime soon. It will follow us or should I say we will follow it in fall and winter too . You know why ?
Because this !
The new Gingham isn’t just for little girly dresses any more, this year it’s getting a cool update in awesome structured trousers, cute shirts and even blazers. Once reserved for table linens and picnic blankets, gingham is having a major fashion moment, and thanks to designers like Carolina Herrera, Lela Rose, and Peter Pilot for incorporating the print into their spring 2017 collections.
These breezy checks come in all different forms and were literally seen everywhere. From the catwalks to the high street to mad world of social media, gingham has literally taken over as the print-of-choice for Spring/Summer 2017. It appears to be a trend that has successfully segued from the runways (Stella McCartney and Victoria Beckham) into some of our favourite high-street stores – Zara, Mango, H&M etc.
In 2017 , we all have seen it splashed all over every magazine and high-street window, but like any print, it can be a tricky one to master. All you need is a bit of inspiration to get started. Like I really liked how stylish stars like Emily Ratajkowski, Olivia Palermo and Suki Waterhouse were seen wearing checkered designs this season. Hence I tried few of the gingham printed tops and dresses myself too. Also I did share the looks on my Instagram too .
My tips to wear gingham this season like a perfect fashion girl:
- Gingham print comes in a variety of colours: baby-blue, yellow, pink, even classic red. Each colour can look fabulous and summer-appropriate, but if you’re just starting out, sticking to black and white is a much safer option as it’s easier to style into your existing wardrobe.
- A black and white gingham print in both small and big checks can work wonders for different looks. Go with a blue jeans on a gingham print top to own a streetstyle look.
- Add up some splash of colour to pop up your look on a monochromatic gingham printed outfit. You will get an amazing summer brunch or evening look.
- Try this trend for work by opting for crisp gingham printed trousers with a white shirt tucked in neatly. If post-work drinks are calling you, then throw on a cami-top and swap your flats for heels on the gingham print trousers and you’re ready for anything.
- The print is back in full force this season. Hence let yourself loose and experiment with different shapes, lengths, designs in tops/shirts, whether it’s in the form of a ruffled blouse or an off-the-shoulder top .
- Add the bombshell appeal, wear a high-waisted full skirt and with a simple black tee. Compliment the look with stilletoes.
- Inject a fresh edge to gingham, wear coloured gingham printed shirts tucked in with wide legged trousers and go back to looking like a vintage fashion icon.
- Don’t stop yourself for opting an overall gingham print dress and co-ord dresses too. Why not try large checks when going for an overall dress. I found the best ones at @Zara.
- Last but not the least if you are not sure about going with the trend , keep it subtle and go for gingham print accessories out there. Yes ! You heard it right. There is everything out there, from shoes to bags available in this super cool print. Try @zara and @h&m as they have some of my favourite picks.
To have some more of styling ideas , I searched for few more of my favourite gingham styling inspirations . Now that you have so much to choose from , do try to experiment and I hope the above tips I mentioned in this blogpost inspire you more to try this seasons most talked about print .
Do share your views and feel free to ask any questions or queries . Also don’t forget to follow @scoopsnvogue on Instagram.
– Marium K Ahmad